Guate Soundtrack


Now--I was never someone who lived in a quiet neighborhood. In fact, I lived in Los Angeles; sirens, helicopters, and random shenanigans would lull me to sleep on a regular basis. But it wasn’t until I came to Guatemala that I actually realized how good I had it in the ‘sleep soundtrack’ realm.
The small, but hilly town where I live holds a treasure trove of local sounds (gallos, pavos, perros, morranos, y caballos make up the bulk of the nightly lullaby). Then there are the ‘bonus tracks’.

One thing you should know about my town before I go on, is the fact that it is quite a boisterous yet conservative town which houses citizens who are proud to be Catholic or Evangelical. Well, those bonus tracks that I mentioned above, are arenas for them to shout to the rooftops-- I love me some Jesus.

When the Catholic church has the mic-- it is an older man or a younger child praying over what seems to be a loud speaker that has a direct connection with my wall. Que Dios los Vendiga is something said over and over while folks sing hymns . Every Sunday, like clockwork, at 8pm, 10pm, Midnight, 2am, and 4am there is music and worship. And you would think I’m guessing about the times, but luckily (or the complete opposite in fact) the first Saturday in my town, I was afflicted with a little bug that had me sprinting to the restroom every two hours… just in time for me to hear the prayers out on the streets.
Now one would think, Well at least that’s just on Sunday. Well, you’re wrong. The Evangelical church also hosts it’s town worship on Thursdays (and sometimes Saturdays). Marimbas and singing over loud speaker fill the air so ‘the big guy’ can hear. But it does not stop there folks. In fact, I believe there is some godly van or bus that blasts this service over the night sky and throughout each and every street--making sure you heard that last plea. This theory comes from the fact that although there is the constant loud ceremony happening some place in town, it is amplified tenfold every fifteen or so minutes when it can be heard from the other side of every wall in my host family’s house.
So sure, helicopters and sirens are one thing… but nothing competes with this town’s loud speakers.

---Random Note----
I promise to attach more pictures next time! Internet cafes are killer when it comes to uploading photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment